Monday, January 17, 2011

Matthew 16:18

So I really have been slacking with getting this blog going since I've been in Italy. I've been here since last Wednesday and obviously haven't blogged at all. Way too much has gone on to even be able to tell the half of it so I'll just focus on the most important event for me thus far and save some funny stories for days when I have nothing else to say.

I really can't express in words just how beautiful this city is. Yesterday, I spent a few hours at the Vatican and St. Peter's Basilica. It is the single most astounding piece of art that I have ever seen. After taking some pictures for a while, I moved into the Basilica and actually started to tear up when I realized where I was and what it meant to be there. I was literally standing on the spot where the church was built. The past week I've been struggling with finding my time to spend with Christ and here I felt more full than ever before. I then experienced a top 5 moment of my life. While in the square, I had met an Italian couple who spoke a bit of English and spent some time conversing with them as we were taking pictures (Side note, it is such a joy to hear someone else speak English when not with other students..its so overwhelming to not be able to speak to anyone on the streets). When inside St. Peter's, I ran into them again and they asked me if I wanted to sit at Mass with them. Now, I've never actually attended a Catholic mass so I had no clue what was going on to that respect. To make matters even worse, it was all in Latin so I had no idea what was even being said. Regardless, just to stand there and pray inside the walls of such a historical church was a moment that I'll never forget. One could feel God's presence sweeping through the room as hymns were sung and His word was spoken at a level I've never experienced before. Needless to say, it was the blessing I needed more than anything to finally feel comfortable in this new home and reminded me that even as I feel lost and scared, God is just as near here as He is back home in the states. I pray that I keep myself mindful of this fact for the next 4 months and allow myself to sense Him wherever the journey He has laid before me goes.



And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
















No comments:

Post a Comment